Thursday, August 02, 2007

SENTIMENTAL FOOL

Last year around August, as I was applying for Pharmacy school; as I was going through a rather difficult personal issue; and as I was dreading the imminent departure of the postdoctoral fellow I worked with for almost 5 years, I decided that I was ready to leave the lab where I've been working since I graduated from College. I kept on complaining that if I didn't need the money, I wouldn't have stayed. I felt ready to leave academic research, and my fellow co-workers behind for school. I was excited to meet my classmates and to start studying all over.

It's ironic that I'm feeling the opposite now that I finally left the lab for good. As I started cleaning out my bench, throwing reagents and media away, I felt sentimental. I would never do those experiments again in the next four years. And I felt extremely sad.

As I said goodbye to my co-workers last night, I actually cried. I am saddened by the fact that I won't be able see them everyday, that I won't be able to talk to them everyday, that I won't get to bother them about experiments everyday. And I'm sad, extremely sad.

I'll miss the wonderful people I worked with. I'll miss the evil, communist "regime" on our floor. Although they made life difficult for us, it was always fun to complain and talk nasty about them. I'll miss the tissue culture room, the microscope room (even though I hated staying in that room), and my bench. I'll miss walking the halls of the 15th floor, seeing the Golden Gate Bridge and San Francisco Bay when it's not foggy outside.

But I'm grateful for all that I've learned in the 5 years that I spent in the lab. I'm grateful for all the memories, the laughter, and the stories that I shared with my co-workers. I'm grateful for the opportunity I was given to work in that lab and be surrounded by intelligent, hardworking, creative, talented, and funny scientists.

4 comments:

beng said...

almost 5 years, even longer than HS or college... so it's like graduating all over for you binut.

i feel for you... *hugs*

Anonymous said...

just realized you removed a couple of posts ... it's really hard to be in an emotional roller coaster ... hope your ok =0

Binut/Keyt said...

Harbs, true ka diyan. =) Thanks for the hug!

O' Neal, kaya ako nagtanggal ng posts, kasi nabasa ng isa kong katrabaho yung "sentimental fool" post ko. E baka mamaya, mabasa ng isa ko pang katrabaho, lagot ako! =) I'm good. Thanks!

MTFR said...

I feel for you too HUUUUUUUUG