Tuesday, May 13, 2008

SOMETHING TO LOOK FORWARD TO

I will be working at Walgreens (YUP! Walgreens!) this summer as an intern. And I was assigned (by luck) to a Walgreens Diabetes Specialty Clinic. How cool is that. My preceptor sent me an email detailing the plan he has for me this summer. I'm really excited!

The Walgreens you'll be working at is a little odd. We're in the middle of transitioning to a more patient focused care model and have several projects in transition at this very moment. Our pharmacists are certified in Diabetes, Dyslipidemia, Pain Management, Asthma/COPD, Immunization, EC, and others. We've just started the MTM program and are currently involved in pharmacist intervention in Diabetes, HTN, Asthma, EC, and others. In addition, I'd like to get more involved in the Pediatric Intervention Program (PIP) with your help.

I've been working with students for over a decade now and have guest lectured at UOP, Western, & UCSF and have now worked with over a hundred students. I hope to continue to refine my teaching skills with your help and have developed a specific curiculum that I'd like to cover with you this summer to help prepare you for both classes as well as Boards. The first section will review OTCs (this usually takes a couple of weeks), then I'd like to cover Pharmacy Law, then I'd like to dive into Diabetes (several lectures here). After that, you have the option to pick another two topics that you are interested in. Topics that have been done before include Dyslipidemia, HIV, Depression, Asthma, but feel free to branch out into areas of your specific interest. I would like the topics fairly early to be able to prepare the lecture properly.


A lot of work, but hopefully now I'll understand what retail pharmacy is all about.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Indeed, that's something to look forward to! Would you have to deal with customers? :)