Wednesday, January 10, 2007

HAPPY NEW YEAR'S EVE DAY

On my post about my birthday/christmas wish list, I mentioned that I wanted a mic (and not the headset one) for my computer that would enable me to do voice chat with my cousins from Australia (whose picture, btw, are posted on my friendster). And the reason I opted for that kind of mic, rather than a headset, is for ease of use, especially when there are three people wanting to chat at one time. =) With the headset, only the person wearing the headset can hear and chat with the people on the other side of the Pacific Ocean. With a mic-stand, my parents and I can hear and chat with my cousins, aunts, and uncles in Australia, simultaneously.

Anyway, before Christmas, my aunt and I had a bit of an opportunity to chat with one another. But the chats were rather brief - 2 to 3 minutes long. Everyone was busy buying gifts, wrapping presents, and cooking the holiday meal that it was difficult to set up a time for us to chat (plus, we must not forget the huge time difference between California and Sydney).

But on the morning of the 31st (in Australia) and evening of the 30th (in California), my aunt, cousins and I finally had time to chat. And the mic definitely served its purpose. My aunt was impressed with the clarity of the call (we were using YM). She said that the connection was better than us calling them using phone cards. Apparently, there is static noise on the background when we do call them on the phone. And, the nice thing about it, is that it's free. All you need is a computer hooked up to some form of internet connection and voila! you get a free long distance / international call. =)

The call lasted more than 4 hours. My uncle had to work part time that day. He was still at home when we started talking. And when he came back from work, we were still talking. =) That was a good day for talking.

And finally, after so long, one of my cousins, Krissie, who'll be 11 in 2 weeks, decided to actually chat with me. She used to be self-conscious around me 'coz I make a big fuss over her Aussie accent. She never liked talking to me. But that changed this time around (as she was, she told me, so bored). I talked to her for a good 40 minutes. I asked her how she's liking the wii that she and her brother got over Christmas. She's also on the swim team (I suppose it runs in the family?) so we talked about that for a bit. And we talked about a bunch of other stuff I can't even remember anymore. But anyway, before we ended the call, Krissie said one last thing - "Happy New Year's Eve DAY!" (it was the 31st, but it wasn't night time yet). Hehe.

No comments: