Saturday, September 09, 2006

CASTRO

Castro. The last name of the famous Cuban dictator, Fidel, whom the US has been trying to kick out since the 1960s.

Castro. The maiden name of my paternal grandfather's mother.

Castro. The famous street in the gay district of San Francisco.

Last night, out of a whim, Ferlie, Laurice and I decided to meet up. Laurice had volunteer until 8 pm near where I work so Ferlie and I picked her up. We were trying to go down on Irving St., where we normally eat, but having seen the many shops, restaurants and pubs along Cole St., we decided to stay there and check them out.

We ended up eating at Bambino's Ristorante. We wanted to try the French one, Zazie but it was way too full. So, we settled for the Italian one. The ambiance was really nice. But the food was kinda bland. But at least, we can tell people that we've been to Bambino's. =P

After that, we decided to walk around a bit. Though we were full, we kinda wanted some dessert. So we figured we needed to walk off what we ate, then we'll eat our dessert. But the nearest Crepe place was only 5 buildings away. It wasn't much of a walk and we were still very full when we got to Crepes on Cole. So, we decided to go to Sweet Inspirations by Market and Castro. We drove to get there.

We strolled a bit ('coz we really needed to walk off what we ate) around Market St. Then turned left on Castro. It's a very interesting Street and I'll advise everyone who visits San Francisco to check it out.

We saw a shop called NAIA. And I thought of our International Airport in the Philippines. It was an Italian Gelatto shop. And they had so many flavors! They have coconut (tastes like Buko Ice Drop), Banana, Nutella, Millk Chocolate, Cassanova, Mango, and so much more. Though initially, we wanted to just get one and share amongst us three, we ended up getting our own small cups. And I just have to say, it was really good. Though we said we wouldn't be able to finish the gelatto, they were so good, we ended up finishing them in less than 5 minutes. And now, we vowed to go back to Castro and get some more of that gelatto in NAIA.

As we were walking the famous Castro St, a lady came up to me and said hi. I said hi back. I forgot I was in the gay district, so I didn't think she was lesbian, until she said, "Can I get a hug?" It's a sentence I use only on my younger (less than 10 years old) cousins. She wasn't the malicious type, so I said, "sure." I'm not sure what I was thinking. Maybe I was afraid of the mob of people in that area. I didn't want any sort of confrontation, so I gave her a pat on the back. She asked the same off Ferlie and Laurice. Laurice didn't want to, but she was kinda forced to give her a hug. She asked us if we're gay (I suppose 3 ladies hanging out together can be mistaken for lesbians) and Ferlie responded with a resounding NO. The lady shouted back, "Turn GAY." It was funny.

When we got to Sweet Inspiration, we were already full from the Gelatto we had. Though they had delicious looking desserts, we decided to head home.

My friends who want to visit San Francisco, let me know when you're coming. I'll definitely take you to Castro.

3 comments:

beng said...

most gay people i know (or have brushed elbows with) have a way with charming people. kuya Fhill is the best(est) gay i've known my entire life. (s)he turned my mom into a woman-gay... knowing the gay lingo and all the kikay stuff. =P

Binut/Keyt said...

hehe ... can't imagine your mom being a woman-gay ... hehe ... happiness naman ako. =P

beng said...

ayan, gay lingo yan ah! i'm teaching je gay lingo too. ginagamit na nya sa sentences nya yung chuva, chienes, at mga -tion words, like mantika becomes mantication, chocolate becomes chocolation. hahaha! =P