Friday, September 29, 2006

HOW TO JUDGE A CHEERDANCE COMPETITION?

I'm a full-blooded Thomasian. My parents are Thomasians. I was born in UST. I was raised in UST. UST is my second home. I would have gone to UST for College had my family not migrated to the US.

In my four years in HS in UST, the Tigers won four straight years. The first two years were historic. The first one was a Sweep. UST did not lose a single game. The second one was a Grand Slam - The Tigers, Tigresses and Tiger Cubs all won the UAAP championships. The third year was supposed to be a back to back grand slam but the Tiger Cubs lost to the Blue Eaglets. Then the fourth year was a four peat.

UST was aiming for a 5-peat, but since I already left my beloved alma mater, they started their losing streak. =(



The only competition UST continues to win is the CheerDance Competition. And thanks to YouTube, though I do not have TFC at home, I was able to watch UST's performance. This is their 5 peat. And I was amazed to see their routine. They're really good! I guess the 5 trophies prove how good they are. But anyway. I read in the UAAP website that FEU placed second and UP placed third. I watched all their performances. FEU and UP were good as well. But of course, in my eyes, UST was the best. But can anyone tell me what makes the Salinggawi performance better than that of FEU (their pyramids are riskier) or of UP? THANKS!


2 comments:

beng said...

i think it's the attitude. feel na feel ng dancers natin yung routine nila eh. parang naglalaro lang. they look like they are not exerting any effort at all.

and they infuse new stuff sa routine nila. they are growing, kumbaga.

and, the performance itself, parang one "WOW!" after another, they just keep striking while the audience was still stunned from the last great "stunt" or "dance" they did. unlike the others, who do their best stunt/dance, then a non-impressive one, then another good one. =)

just my $0.02. i may be biased, thomasian din ako eh. =P

Binut/Keyt said...

Thanks Harbs for the input. =)

You're absolutely right. They kept wowing the audience. I found myself clapping (parang nandun talaga ako eh) and saying "wow" after every routine. But I couldn't help but think, am I biased?

Kasi, I remember when the CharCats performed at the field. Wasn't it an inter-collegiate competition? The Salinggawi performed. They wowed me then. And they still continue to wow me now. =D