Although I don't get to update my blog everyday, I think it's time to take this blog out of hiatus and start updating at least once a week. So, here's my update for this week. =)
It's been a hectic week for me. Applications were due on Wednesday, November 1 and I still had to formulate nice short essays for the weird questions they asked me. One of the harder ones to write was "What insight into the human condition can you bring into your studies at UCSF?" When I initially saw that question I thought that this is similar to the question, 'What is the essence of a woman' asked at the Miss Universe pageant.
Luckily, I have friends to help me. =) For my UCSF Supplemental Application, I had to answer 5 questions. Elaine helped me with the 2nd question (the importance of diversity in pharmacist - patient relations). She (as in Sherrylyn) answered the 5th question (personal characteristic that would make you stand out as an individual). I just had to change the YOU's into I's. And for the dreaded "insight-to-the-human-condition" question, Pet and Ferlie gave me ideas. So, for all those who helped me, MUCHAS GRACIAS.
It's been a hectic week for me. Applications were due on Wednesday, November 1 and I still had to formulate nice short essays for the weird questions they asked me. One of the harder ones to write was "What insight into the human condition can you bring into your studies at UCSF?" When I initially saw that question I thought that this is similar to the question, 'What is the essence of a woman' asked at the Miss Universe pageant.
Luckily, I have friends to help me. =) For my UCSF Supplemental Application, I had to answer 5 questions. Elaine helped me with the 2nd question (the importance of diversity in pharmacist - patient relations). She (as in Sherrylyn) answered the 5th question (personal characteristic that would make you stand out as an individual). I just had to change the YOU's into I's. And for the dreaded "insight-to-the-human-condition" question, Pet and Ferlie gave me ideas. So, for all those who helped me, MUCHAS GRACIAS.
I had a bit of a scare with the UCSD Supplemental Application. See, I know that both UCs have their deadlines on November 1. For UCSF, it has to be the postmark date (although, I could've easily dropped it downstairs, but they wanted it postmarked). And since UCSD's was online, I thought that I won't have to mail anything for them. But I was wrong. On October 31, I saw that I needed to mail my payment (they don't accept credit card) and they have to receive it by November 1. I went to the post-office and asked for overnight delivery. And they said that I missed the cut-off by 30 minutes. So, I hurriedly went to UPS and again I was told that I missed the cut-off by 30 minutes. Darn! I should've gone straight to UPS had I known.
So, I was really worried. I thought that I should just forget about my UCSD application, but I decided to pursue it and pray hard for a miracle. On noon of November 1, I e-submitted my UCSD Supplemental Application. After which, I received an email saying that the payment should be postmarked by November 1. I let out a huge sigh of relief. Man! They should be careful on how they word their remarks, because it's really confusing!
Anyway, so that was over! Done and over with by November 1. And while I relaxed for a few hours, I neeed to start working on the scientific article I needed to present for Journal Club at work today. It's a 13 page paper. And while, I can read a 13 page book with pictures no problem, this one was pretty difficult. The paper was entitled, "Matrix Elasticity Directs Stem Cell Lineage Specification." My head hurt just from reading the stuff. WAAH!
Then, the following day, Thursday, I started working on my powerpoint slides for the presentation. I thought it would be a cinch, but man! it took me hours to finish it.
I even had to wake up at 3 am this morning to work on it. I didn't leave the house until 11 am because I was finishing all the stuff. I got to work at 11:35, 25 minutes before my presentation.
And finally, that's over. I can't say I did a very good job at it. But considering our Lab doesn't work with Stem Cells, I suppose it was okay. So now, I'm just updating my blog. =)
I prolly will have to stay til 8 pm tonight, to finish up various experiments I have running. But oh well, at least things are not that busy or hectic anymore.
Tomorrow, I have BCBP meeting in the morning. Elaine and I are going. And then afterwards, my mom and I are watching The King and I.
Have a nice weekend everyone!
1 comment:
whew! all mental work ah. =P you deserve the break by watching The King and I. hehehe! ganda ba?
so when will you hear back from the UCs? =) nagugulat din ako sa mga "postmarked by" na fine prints na ganyan! kakaloka! =P
Post a Comment