After my UCSF interview, I went home and did laundry (I needed to wash the suit so I can use it in San Diego). And while I was waiting for the laundry to be done, I relaxed. I talked to some people and watched TV. After I was
done with the laundry, I packed my things. It took me about 2 hours to pack. =P Not because I had a lot of things to pack, but because I couldn't fit everything in my tiny luggage. =P I didn't want to lug around a big luggage. I only had a tiny rolling one and a backpack. So, I needed to shuffle things around so it will all fit in the luggage I will check in and my backpack which is my hand-carry. And then, it took me a long time to sort out what printed confirmations I needed for the flight, the shuttle, and hotel. After all was said and done, I went to bed at around midnight, but couldn't sleep til 2 am.
Why? I suppose I was really excited! For one, I'm flying down to San Diego alone, going to a hotel I've never been before, going to UCSD, taking the train to LA, meeting Eileen and Alvin, etc.
Friday morning, I had to wake up early because I had to bring my mom to work. I brought her to work at 7 am. And then, my dad picked me up at 9 am to bring me to the airport. I'm glad that my dad was able to get off work for a couple of hours because it was raining so hard that day. Had I taken the BART, then a shuttle to the airport, I would have been drenched!
Although there was a bit of traffic, I got to the airport at 9:30. Though it was a busy day (I guess 'coz it was a weekend), everything went on smoothly. It's been 2 years since I flew domestic, so I don't know if they still do a random screening. (QUESTION: DO THEY?) 2 years ago, Abby and I were randomly selected for screening when we flew from Burbank to SFO. But I wasn't screened this time around, thank God. =)
I waited for about 2 1/2 hours at the airport, my scheduled flight wasn't until 12:20. I continued reading the book, "The Wicked Witch of The West," which my cousin lent me on Thanksgiving (yeah! yeah! I'm supposed to have supposed to board. And tried to eat it, but I was still full. =( I only ate half. Then took the rest with me on the plane.
The plane was 30 minutes delayed. It was a bit of an annoying flight because the person behind me talked really loudly to the person seated next to him. And then, he kept on kicking my seat. I'm guessing that he's tall so that whenever he moves, he ends up moving my seat. So, though I tried my hardest to fall asleep (I was tired and sleepy), I couldn't. Thankfully, the flight was only an hour and 10 minutes. And then, it was over. But, before the plane was finally on the ground, we had a bit of an excitement. The landing was not smooth. And it felt like we were going through several tiny roller coaster humps. The older women were panicking already. But thankfully, it only lasted for a couple of minutes.

I got off the plane, got my luggage (it was surprisingly quick considering I checked in early), and then followed the signs for the shuttle. I booked a shuttle to take me from the airport to the hotel. It was UCSF who suggested the shuttle. And I followed their suggestion. It took me a while to find the shuttle. I went to the wrong stop. Hehe. It would have taken me to the beach or something. =P I should've taken that one!!! X( But the driver of that shuttle directed me to the one two stops ahead.
The shuttle ride was smooth. But since I was not dressed for the weather (I had a thick coat with me and a thick sweater underneath the coat), it was way too hot in the shuttle. Everyone was dressed lightly. I got really dizzy riding from the airport to the hotel. There were only two of us riding the shuttle. She's a sophomore from UC Berkeley. I asked her what she was doing in San Diego - visiting. And she asked me - interviewing. She has such a nice schedule. She has classes only on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. And then she has a four-day weekend. Isn't that great? I wished I had that kind of schedule. Anyway, I was dropped off first.

I checked in. Then went to my room.

I was amazed with the room. Well, I knew it had everything. It better! 'Coz I paid a lot (I don't earn that much, okay, so I consider what I paid for a night at that inn was a lot! defensive =P). But I appreciated the room. A sort of living room, with a sofa bed and TV. Then it had a kitchen with a fridge that has an icemaker, dishwasher, stove, oven, and microwave. And it's complete with dishes. It even had champagne glasses. Hehe. Too bad I was alone and without a champagne. So I wasn't able to make full use of my room. =P


I was hungry when I got there and tired, so I ended up eating the rest of my sandwich. And then I rested for a bit. And then I began my trek to UCSD.
The reason I chose this inn even though it was the most expensive on the list was its proximity to the campus. One can walk from the Inn to UCSD. When I went to the front desk to ask how to get to UCSD, the manager gave me driving directions. I suppose he thought I rented a car. It's a good thing there's a thing like Google Maps, because I was able to see the general area around the Inn and UCSD and was able to fathom how to get from the Inn to the School.
When I checked on google maps if there was a sidewalk from the Inn to the Campus, I saw one, but only up to a busy street. And then, the trail went cold. It's a good thing that google maps is so accurate, that it even showed (in the satellite map) a bridge for pedestrians, that connects the busy street (I forgot the street name) and UCSD. =) So, as I walked to UCSD, I pictured the satellite image and started walking towards where I thought the bridge would be. And voila! It was there! Thank YOU GOOGLE MAPS! I was able to find my way to UCSD through YOU! =)
It was a hike to UCSD. I thought that UCSD was flat, like Sacramento and unlike San Francisco. But NO! It was sorta like San Francisco 'coz it's hilly. And it was an uphill walk to UCSD from the Inn. It took me about 10 minutes to get there. And I started taking pictures of the school. It turns out that the biomedical science area, is just one of the 6 sub-campuses within the greater UCSD campus. It's HUGE!!! And it has plenty of parking space (there are no parking spaces at UCSF. Well, you'll have to wait 8 years to get a permit and will cost you $200 a month). It's unbelievable!

After I found out where I was supposed to go for the following day, I started my journey back. But this time, I took a different route. I ended up on a street where there are lots of shops and restaurants. And in my walk, I realized how difficult it is to be without a car. =P Ang layo ng nilakad ko!!! Anyway, finally, I found a Mexican fast food place, Rubio's. So I bought my dinner - burrito and chips. Then, I walked to a small pharmacy, like Walgreens pero smaller, and bought milk (for breakfast) and cookies. Then, I walked back to the hotel.
Grabe! Ang layo ng nilakad ko. Sabi nga nung nasa Rubio's, "No offense, but you look really tired" =P So, when I got back sa hotel, I decided to eat my dinner and sleep an hour and a half later - mga 7:30 pm. =P Pagod talaga ako. As in. I decided to sleep early and wake up early. Di naman ako nakatulog ng 7:30 kasi, nanood pa ako ng Monk, and namalantsa, and then K. Alvs called me up. Mga 10 na rin ako nakatulog. Anyway, hanggang diyan na lang muna.
done with the laundry, I packed my things. It took me about 2 hours to pack. =P Not because I had a lot of things to pack, but because I couldn't fit everything in my tiny luggage. =P I didn't want to lug around a big luggage. I only had a tiny rolling one and a backpack. So, I needed to shuffle things around so it will all fit in the luggage I will check in and my backpack which is my hand-carry. And then, it took me a long time to sort out what printed confirmations I needed for the flight, the shuttle, and hotel. After all was said and done, I went to bed at around midnight, but couldn't sleep til 2 am.
Why? I suppose I was really excited! For one, I'm flying down to San Diego alone, going to a hotel I've never been before, going to UCSD, taking the train to LA, meeting Eileen and Alvin, etc.
Friday morning, I had to wake up early because I had to bring my mom to work. I brought her to work at 7 am. And then, my dad picked me up at 9 am to bring me to the airport. I'm glad that my dad was able to get off work for a couple of hours because it was raining so hard that day. Had I taken the BART, then a shuttle to the airport, I would have been drenched!
Although there was a bit of traffic, I got to the airport at 9:30. Though it was a busy day (I guess 'coz it was a weekend), everything went on smoothly. It's been 2 years since I flew domestic, so I don't know if they still do a random screening. (QUESTION: DO THEY?) 2 years ago, Abby and I were randomly selected for screening when we flew from Burbank to SFO. But I wasn't screened this time around, thank God. =)
I waited for about 2 1/2 hours at the airport, my scheduled flight wasn't until 12:20. I continued reading the book, "The Wicked Witch of The West," which my cousin lent me on Thanksgiving (yeah! yeah! I'm supposed to have supposed to board. And tried to eat it, but I was still full. =( I only ate half. Then took the rest with me on the plane.
The plane was 30 minutes delayed. It was a bit of an annoying flight because the person behind me talked really loudly to the person seated next to him. And then, he kept on kicking my seat. I'm guessing that he's tall so that whenever he moves, he ends up moving my seat. So, though I tried my hardest to fall asleep (I was tired and sleepy), I couldn't. Thankfully, the flight was only an hour and 10 minutes. And then, it was over. But, before the plane was finally on the ground, we had a bit of an excitement. The landing was not smooth. And it felt like we were going through several tiny roller coaster humps. The older women were panicking already. But thankfully, it only lasted for a couple of minutes.
I got off the plane, got my luggage (it was surprisingly quick considering I checked in early), and then followed the signs for the shuttle. I booked a shuttle to take me from the airport to the hotel. It was UCSF who suggested the shuttle. And I followed their suggestion. It took me a while to find the shuttle. I went to the wrong stop. Hehe. It would have taken me to the beach or something. =P I should've taken that one!!! X( But the driver of that shuttle directed me to the one two stops ahead.
The shuttle ride was smooth. But since I was not dressed for the weather (I had a thick coat with me and a thick sweater underneath the coat), it was way too hot in the shuttle. Everyone was dressed lightly. I got really dizzy riding from the airport to the hotel. There were only two of us riding the shuttle. She's a sophomore from UC Berkeley. I asked her what she was doing in San Diego - visiting. And she asked me - interviewing. She has such a nice schedule. She has classes only on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. And then she has a four-day weekend. Isn't that great? I wished I had that kind of schedule. Anyway, I was dropped off first.
I checked in. Then went to my room.
I was amazed with the room. Well, I knew it had everything. It better! 'Coz I paid a lot (I don't earn that much, okay, so I consider what I paid for a night at that inn was a lot! defensive =P). But I appreciated the room. A sort of living room, with a sofa bed and TV. Then it had a kitchen with a fridge that has an icemaker, dishwasher, stove, oven, and microwave. And it's complete with dishes. It even had champagne glasses. Hehe. Too bad I was alone and without a champagne. So I wasn't able to make full use of my room. =P
I was hungry when I got there and tired, so I ended up eating the rest of my sandwich. And then I rested for a bit. And then I began my trek to UCSD.
The reason I chose this inn even though it was the most expensive on the list was its proximity to the campus. One can walk from the Inn to UCSD. When I went to the front desk to ask how to get to UCSD, the manager gave me driving directions. I suppose he thought I rented a car. It's a good thing there's a thing like Google Maps, because I was able to see the general area around the Inn and UCSD and was able to fathom how to get from the Inn to the School.
When I checked on google maps if there was a sidewalk from the Inn to the Campus, I saw one, but only up to a busy street. And then, the trail went cold. It's a good thing that google maps is so accurate, that it even showed (in the satellite map) a bridge for pedestrians, that connects the busy street (I forgot the street name) and UCSD. =) So, as I walked to UCSD, I pictured the satellite image and started walking towards where I thought the bridge would be. And voila! It was there! Thank YOU GOOGLE MAPS! I was able to find my way to UCSD through YOU! =)
It was a hike to UCSD. I thought that UCSD was flat, like Sacramento and unlike San Francisco. But NO! It was sorta like San Francisco 'coz it's hilly. And it was an uphill walk to UCSD from the Inn. It took me about 10 minutes to get there. And I started taking pictures of the school. It turns out that the biomedical science area, is just one of the 6 sub-campuses within the greater UCSD campus. It's HUGE!!! And it has plenty of parking space (there are no parking spaces at UCSF. Well, you'll have to wait 8 years to get a permit and will cost you $200 a month). It's unbelievable!
After I found out where I was supposed to go for the following day, I started my journey back. But this time, I took a different route. I ended up on a street where there are lots of shops and restaurants. And in my walk, I realized how difficult it is to be without a car. =P Ang layo ng nilakad ko!!! Anyway, finally, I found a Mexican fast food place, Rubio's. So I bought my dinner - burrito and chips. Then, I walked to a small pharmacy, like Walgreens pero smaller, and bought milk (for breakfast) and cookies. Then, I walked back to the hotel.
Grabe! Ang layo ng nilakad ko. Sabi nga nung nasa Rubio's, "No offense, but you look really tired" =P So, when I got back sa hotel, I decided to eat my dinner and sleep an hour and a half later - mga 7:30 pm. =P Pagod talaga ako. As in. I decided to sleep early and wake up early. Di naman ako nakatulog ng 7:30 kasi, nanood pa ako ng Monk, and namalantsa, and then K. Alvs called me up. Mga 10 na rin ako nakatulog. Anyway, hanggang diyan na lang muna.
1 comment:
wow! well documented! asan na yung kasunod? hehehe!
in fairness to you, carry mo mag-mexican food? pag nagmemexican ako, for sure kailangan ko ng imodium after 3 hours. hehehe! :D
be waiting for the next post! =D
Post a Comment