Thursday, February 15, 2007

UCSF: GROUP SCHEDULE, ESSAY, STUDENTS

*Continuation

I was blessed by God with a great schedule (see previous post). I had the essay writing first. Then I had a bit of time to relax and talk to current pharmacy students. Then I had the interview proper. And then I was done!

Pauline, the first person within the group I talked to, had a nasty schedule. Her interview proper was first, followed by the essay writing. She said that if she did terribly during the interview, it might affect the way she would write her essay. I think our group was the only one whose essay writing came before the interview. The other two groups had their interviews first, then the essay writing.

There is an essay writing portion because they want to know that the applicant can articulate oneself in both verbal and written communication. Here's a description of the essay writing portion posted on the Pharmacy School Website:

You will be given 45 minutes to write an essay on one of 3 topics. These topics are not academic in nature, nor do they test your knowledge in specific subjects. This exercise can help the admissions committee assess your writing skills, as well as your problem solving and critical thinking abilities.

They give ridiculous topics. I saw a question a former applicant posted on some random website. And it was: If you found a potential dam site that would provide electricity to millions of people, and the site is home to some exotic flora and fauna, what would you do? Would you go ahead and build the dam or would you save the flora and fauna? Of course, it wasn't worded that way, but it's the basic concept.

Anywho, so here are the three topics that were given us:

1) The voter turn-out in the last elections was low. Some democracies require their citizens to vote on election day. Should the US adopt this kind of practice or not? Why?
2) The term "human rights" is always used but never defined. What are the basic human rights people have?
3) If you have two children and can immunize only one, which of the two will you immunize? How would you come up with that decision? Or would you not choose who to immunize and why?

Apparently, the easiest question to answer is #3, that is, if I were an immunologist. Unfortunately, I never took any immunology classes in College. So, of course, I didn't choose #3. I thought that was mean, to actually have to choose between two children who to immunize. So I ended up choosing #1. I said "require" = "force" and force = no freedom and no freedom = a warped US. Anyway, that's not what I wrote of course, but that's the gist of it.

After I was done, I went out of the room and chatted with the other applicants from our group who had already finished writing their essay and from the other group who had already finished their interview.

Then, our group was taken to a little room where they had refreshments - lemonade, iced tea, water. Two 1st-year pharmacy students were there. No one had any questions for them. I suppose people were tired from having to write an essay and anxious that the interview proper will be in an hour. So, the more talkative student ended up telling us the frat parties, and the kind of social life they have as pharmacy students. That went on for about 30 minutes. Then, a person came to talk to us about finishing up the prereqs for UCSF. I'm already done, so I didn't talk to the person. I went to the restroom instead. And then, the dreaded interview began. But, that's for the next post. Til next time!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bitin. WaaaH! :O I'll wait for the next installment. Hehe. Mwah!

beng said...

hmmm, interesting essay topics. kung ako yon, i would've chosen #3. why? because i'm never good in explaining anything political in nature. hehehe! =P so it's more like choosing the least evil among them. =D

curious ako kung papano mo sinulat yung essay mo.

Binut/Keyt said...

Nahirapan ako sa #3 kasi parang ang mean nung question. Alam ko na di ko masasagot yung #2. So #1 na lang sinagot ko.

Sabi ko, US boasts of itself being the "land of the free" - freedom of speech, religion, and freedom to vote or not to vote. Wehehe. Something like that.

Tapos sabi ko pa yung mga bumoboto, talagang pinag-iisipan yung boto nila. As in pinag-aaralan at kinikilatis ang mga kandidato. Kung lahat ng tao pipilitin bumoto, e di random na magiging voting. Pipili na lang ang mga tao kung sino man ang may magandang pangalan kahit na di nila kilala kung sino yung candidate na yun.

Something to that effect. Pero of course, in English. =P