When the Phantom of the Opera went to San Francisco, my mom and I grabbed the chance to see it without having to travel all the way to New York or London. We used my dad's birthday as an excuse to see it. My dad, not an avid broadway/musical fan, was not happy with the gift we gave him. Hehe.
It was a great show! And after that, my mom dragged me to a lot of broadway/musical shows. So, I'm going to give my 2 cents about each.
1) Phantom of the Opera - Two words to describe it! Great over-all. It's probably the best one I've seen because everything was spectacular. The costumes, the set, the props (the falling chandelier - it gave us all a big fright), the performers were all great! Brad Little, the one who played the Phantom has this magnificent soothing voice. I fell in love with his rendition of "Music of the Night," that I bought their CD. But it wasn't Brad Little who sang in that CD. Shucks. Anywho, I believe that this show is one worth-seeing!
2) The Lion King - I had difficulty imagining how they could turn an animated movie into a musical. I mean, the animation's only limitation is the animator's imagination, right? But to actually portray the Lion King movie on a stage, was a bit too much, right? I thought they wouldn't be able to do it. But they did not disappoint. The Lion King had amazing set, props, and costume. The performers really looked and moved like animals. And, I was impressed with the way they did the stampede scene. You have to see it for yourselves and be amazed like I was. The singing wasn't that great! But, it was still a good show!
3) Evita - I really don't want to go on about this. I didn't like this one. The set was bland, pretty much empty for the most part. We watched this after the Lion King, and I was really disappointed, I guess because I saw two wonderful, extraordinary shows. The singers were good. Overall though, it didn't do much for me. I remember wanting to go to sleep halfway through it.
4) Grease - I didn't see the movie, so I had no idea what this was about when we went to see it. The songs were familiar to me, which was nice. This is a good one. Good set, costumes, props (grease lightning was on the stage). The performers were good, especially Kinnicky (i think I spelled that incorrectly). It was like seeing the movie performed on the stage, but without John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John.
5) Cats - Oh! I hated this one! I couldn't understand what the Cats were singing about. I had no idea what the show was about, so I really had trouble following it. And it seems like the performers weren't into performing that night. I went with an uncle who has seen this before and he was truly disappointed. He said the performance wasn't as lively as he remembered it. Set was good. Singing was mediocre. The dancing was terrific though. But overall, it was just too disappointing.
6) Les Miserables - Didn't see the movie with Claire Danes, but was familiar with the songs, especially On My Own, I Dreamed a Dream, because I think I saw parts of the Les Mis concert (20th anniv) where Lea Salonga played Eponine. They had a minimal set (nothing beats the Lion King and the Phantom for the set) and a revolving stage. Costumes were great! But nothing beats the singing! All performers had powerful and beautiful singing voices. The songs, in and of themselves, were very powerful. This is truly moving show! It's charged with emotions. You can feel them through the performer's movements and in the way they sing. I loved this one! Truly a must-see show.
7) Mamma Mia - Just saw it last night. My friend loved this show. I thought it was slow at first. But then they sang Dancing Queen and Chiquitita, and I found myself having the time of my life. It's a comedic musical. It'll keep you laughing all through-out the show. One person's voice was so nasal and high pitched, it was irritating. But, other than that, it was a great show. Minimal set, but it worked so well for them. And costumes were fabulous. Very colorful! The choreographed dances were great to see. I guess, because there was so much dancing and acting needed for this show, the singing wasn't as great as in Les Mis. But it was a great show, nonetheless. I'm still laughing when I remember certain scenes.
It was a great show! And after that, my mom dragged me to a lot of broadway/musical shows. So, I'm going to give my 2 cents about each.
1) Phantom of the Opera - Two words to describe it! Great over-all. It's probably the best one I've seen because everything was spectacular. The costumes, the set, the props (the falling chandelier - it gave us all a big fright), the performers were all great! Brad Little, the one who played the Phantom has this magnificent soothing voice. I fell in love with his rendition of "Music of the Night," that I bought their CD. But it wasn't Brad Little who sang in that CD. Shucks. Anywho, I believe that this show is one worth-seeing!
2) The Lion King - I had difficulty imagining how they could turn an animated movie into a musical. I mean, the animation's only limitation is the animator's imagination, right? But to actually portray the Lion King movie on a stage, was a bit too much, right? I thought they wouldn't be able to do it. But they did not disappoint. The Lion King had amazing set, props, and costume. The performers really looked and moved like animals. And, I was impressed with the way they did the stampede scene. You have to see it for yourselves and be amazed like I was. The singing wasn't that great! But, it was still a good show!
3) Evita - I really don't want to go on about this. I didn't like this one. The set was bland, pretty much empty for the most part. We watched this after the Lion King, and I was really disappointed, I guess because I saw two wonderful, extraordinary shows. The singers were good. Overall though, it didn't do much for me. I remember wanting to go to sleep halfway through it.
4) Grease - I didn't see the movie, so I had no idea what this was about when we went to see it. The songs were familiar to me, which was nice. This is a good one. Good set, costumes, props (grease lightning was on the stage). The performers were good, especially Kinnicky (i think I spelled that incorrectly). It was like seeing the movie performed on the stage, but without John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John.
5) Cats - Oh! I hated this one! I couldn't understand what the Cats were singing about. I had no idea what the show was about, so I really had trouble following it. And it seems like the performers weren't into performing that night. I went with an uncle who has seen this before and he was truly disappointed. He said the performance wasn't as lively as he remembered it. Set was good. Singing was mediocre. The dancing was terrific though. But overall, it was just too disappointing.
6) Les Miserables - Didn't see the movie with Claire Danes, but was familiar with the songs, especially On My Own, I Dreamed a Dream, because I think I saw parts of the Les Mis concert (20th anniv) where Lea Salonga played Eponine. They had a minimal set (nothing beats the Lion King and the Phantom for the set) and a revolving stage. Costumes were great! But nothing beats the singing! All performers had powerful and beautiful singing voices. The songs, in and of themselves, were very powerful. This is truly moving show! It's charged with emotions. You can feel them through the performer's movements and in the way they sing. I loved this one! Truly a must-see show.
7) Mamma Mia - Just saw it last night. My friend loved this show. I thought it was slow at first. But then they sang Dancing Queen and Chiquitita, and I found myself having the time of my life. It's a comedic musical. It'll keep you laughing all through-out the show. One person's voice was so nasal and high pitched, it was irritating. But, other than that, it was a great show. Minimal set, but it worked so well for them. And costumes were fabulous. Very colorful! The choreographed dances were great to see. I guess, because there was so much dancing and acting needed for this show, the singing wasn't as great as in Les Mis. But it was a great show, nonetheless. I'm still laughing when I remember certain scenes.
3 comments:
yep! according to our big boss.. the phantom and the lion king were far most the best of all the plays he'd seen so far.. and knowing how he could afford to watch any play.. im pretty sure he had seen a lot!
wow! andami ah! i was able to catch Miss Saigon lang, then that's it. a few more "forget-me" musicals, na mostly leaning on dancing, but that's it. i wanna catch Chicago, kasi gusto ko yung movie non eh. =)
uy, I also wanted to see Cats before ... looked intruiging kaso nagkatamaran ... I agree, the best one I saw was phantom .. sa broadway (ny) naman kme =) ... ang galing galing .. .dun ko lang na appreciate yung kanta ni barbara streisand =) ... mamma mia nakakatawa sobra =) .. I got to watch it with my Pangga naman sa Chicago =) ... I was curious about Lion King kaso akala ko pambata .. ehehe .. pero sabi ng big boss namin ok daw ... kaya next time, pag meron, les miserables and lion king ang next in line ... local plays oks din ... I can't remember one of the plays we watched (with furness and allan) but it was damn funny ... naalala ko kse mejo bastos =D ... tapos, ok din yung dinner with friends =)
Post a Comment