Monday, December 12, 2005

OF DESIRE, DREAM, AND WISH

~ Desire

I have this weird longing to live in the UK. I do not understand it, but I just do. I remember being asked, "If you were given the chance to live all over again, what nationality would you prefer to be?" I blurted out, "Filipino" because I was ever so loyal to the ethnicity I was born into. But now, I think I would shout, "British," just because I'm so fascinated with their culture.

About two years ago, I watched briefly an episode of "Eastenders," a popular British soap. I, of course, did not understand it having had no background on the characters and the story of that show. But, I still watched it to the end. And as they rolled the end credits up, they showed this magnificent English countryside. I am not much of a "country" person as I was born and grew up in the city. But despite that fact, I found myself falling in love with the English countryside and saying to myself, "I want to go there."

A year ago, I rediscovered the show Coupling, which some people not familiar with the sitcom dub as the British version of Friends. But it's not. Anyway, I saw it several years back on PBS at around 1 am. And I fell in love with the show. With the advent of TV on DVDs, I chanced in upon the DVD set of Coupling and bought it, watched it, and became a little bit more familiar with the British culture. And that's when the desire to live in the UK became more real to me.

~ Dream

I dreamt a couple of days ago that God was asking me which congregation Ate Maila joined for two years when she decided she wanted to live for and live intimately with the Lord. And then the word "Benedictine" flashed into view.

As soon as I got the chance, I searched for Benedictine Sisters. I am not called to the religious life, but I wanted to check it out anyway. The search took a long time as I had no idea what I was searching for. And I'm not going to list in detail what I found, and what I learned about the Benedictine order. I'll make this short and just say that I discovered that the Benedictine monasteries (or abbeys) were one of the first established in the UK. And I found a Benedictine Spirituality Center in London. They have weekly speakers throughout the year. And in their list of autumn/winter programme (British spelling), I found four sessions I wanted to attend. And I really wanted to be there right then and there.

~ Wish

On my birthday, my soul sister asked me what my birthday wish is. She said that God had never failed to grant her her birthday wish every year. She said that I should make a wish for God will surely grant it. I had to think for a moment because I didn't really have a birthday wish. And I didn't want to make an impromptu wish. I wanted to really think about it and make sure it's somewhat aligned with what God wants for me. I said briefly that I would love to live in the UK for a year. I'm not sure if that qualifies as a wish, as it was pretty vague and not really well thought of. But at the end of the day, I made a specific wish for my parents.

On my birthday, my friends gave me a book, "A Rough Guide to Britain." I was really excited. I haven't touched the book yet even though I wanted to read it so badly. Upon seeing that book, I felt (although I'm not really sure) it was God's way of saying, "I'll bless your desire to live in Britain." I have my rough guide to the country, and I know where I'd love to stay in Britain. God helped me make my birthday wish more specific. :-)

Now, this is a bit late for a birthday wish (apparently, one has to do it on his/her birthday itself, not before and not after), but something I'll keep in mind until my birthday next year. I wish that God will provide me with an opportunity, within the next five years, to live in the UK for one year, specifically in London near the Benedictine Priory of Christ the King.

I'm praying for it each and everyday. Will you pray with and for me? :-) Thanks!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Britain, huh? I would not mind an opportunity to visit for a few weeks there but I do not think I could live there for an extended period of time. Also, it would have to be in summer time. I have it on good authority (i.e. I have worked with several Britons throughout my career here at Borland) that it gets pretty cold and miserable in London during the winter and I hate the cold. ;)

I hope and pray that God guide you and bless your hopes and dreams. :)

Cheers.

Binut/Keyt said...

Hehe ... yep ... Great Britain! I know it can be hecka cold, that's why I'd have to bring with me lots of "jumpers" when the time comes for me to go there (when God sends me that is).

Schizo nga di ba? I have weird wants and desires. :-)

beng said...

hey binut! in case di mo makita yung comment ko sa blog ko, belated happy bday, schizo!!! =D

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... it's a bit huge for a wish Kate. It's more of a goal. If you really want to do this, go on and pursue it. A lot of sacrifices and changes will entail around it. I think you're ready and it's high time for you to seek an adventure after your own heart. I can only pray for God's will be done in you. Make your moves and we'll see how His plan unfolds. May He make a way for you. God speed...

Binut/Keyt said...

Yeah, I guess it's very specific, Elaine. I really hope and pray God will grant it. I've been looking for jobs in UK, just to check it out. They do have positions similar to the one I have at this point. And one of them is at the University College of London where our former rotation student that I fancied, Tom, is taking his PhD. :-) So, I dunno. I don't have a leading yet. With the CSI thing I have to take, I don't think I can do that anytime soon. ;-)