Pretty bold of me to write this on my blog, knowing that people read this, right? And before Kuya Junby reacts and says, "But she just told me 3 days ago that she finds guys icky," let me explain.
This is not the typical "crush," that I'd end up obssessing and daydreaming about day and night (that sentence sounded ironic). And this is not the typical "crush" I would dream of ending up, happily ever after, with someday. This is the typical "crush," where the word "crush" means someone I admire.
So, what can I say about him? Well, I don't know him. (you guys shocked?) but have read his blog. Apparently, he is a Biomedical Engineering student at Texas A and M (pretty smart guy ... obviously younger than I am, but seems like more knowledgeable and wiser than me).
So, what is it in him that I found admirable? Well, his knowledge of the Catholic Faith. (schizo, right?)
Let me explain further. Through the convincing words of well-intentioned Christian friends of mine, I found myself in a position where I no longer knew what to believe in. I certainly didn't think the Catholic teachings were true any longer. I stopped praying the Hail Mary, believing the act to be a sin. I was confused and went to a xanga blog, Catholic Defender where Fundamentalists and Catholics discuss their divergent beliefs and traditions, hoping to get some insights and be convinced that the Catholic Church possessed the truth. And while some Catholics put up great arguments (like this guy I admire), I wasn't convinced. I, for some reason, found their arguments flimsy compared to the fundamentalist's arguments. I was in real danger of becoming a Fundamentalist myself, had God not intervened. In His goodness, God decided to lead me into a "conversion" site. This is not the "traditional" (in my mind) atheist turned believer "conversion," but more of Protestant/Fundamentalist turned Catholic "conversion." The access to this site led me to my journey of rediscovering my rich Catholic Tradition.
Since then, I've been reading books about Catholicism, mostly those written by Protestant converts to Catholicism. I don't know why, but I just have this bias against reading the writings of "cradle" Catholics. I guess I need to hear it from Fundamentalists, whose arguments almost led me to converting out of the Catholic Tradition.
Anyway, though I've read several books, if asked to discuss why Catholics ask the intercession of saints, I would be speechless. I think I understand it, but not enough to actually discuss it with a person who has a different view. But he explains Catholic positions concisely, coherently, and articulately. Not that Protestants or Fundamentalists agree with what he's saying, for their beliefs still diverge, but he argues in a way that Catholics would just admire his knowledge and patience and would end up wanting to be just like him - having a personal relationship with Jesus, and at the same time being able to explain away the views of the Church Christ founded. SIGH!
This is not the typical "crush," that I'd end up obssessing and daydreaming about day and night (that sentence sounded ironic). And this is not the typical "crush" I would dream of ending up, happily ever after, with someday. This is the typical "crush," where the word "crush" means someone I admire.
So, what can I say about him? Well, I don't know him. (you guys shocked?) but have read his blog. Apparently, he is a Biomedical Engineering student at Texas A and M (pretty smart guy ... obviously younger than I am, but seems like more knowledgeable and wiser than me).
So, what is it in him that I found admirable? Well, his knowledge of the Catholic Faith. (schizo, right?)
Let me explain further. Through the convincing words of well-intentioned Christian friends of mine, I found myself in a position where I no longer knew what to believe in. I certainly didn't think the Catholic teachings were true any longer. I stopped praying the Hail Mary, believing the act to be a sin. I was confused and went to a xanga blog, Catholic Defender where Fundamentalists and Catholics discuss their divergent beliefs and traditions, hoping to get some insights and be convinced that the Catholic Church possessed the truth. And while some Catholics put up great arguments (like this guy I admire), I wasn't convinced. I, for some reason, found their arguments flimsy compared to the fundamentalist's arguments. I was in real danger of becoming a Fundamentalist myself, had God not intervened. In His goodness, God decided to lead me into a "conversion" site. This is not the "traditional" (in my mind) atheist turned believer "conversion," but more of Protestant/Fundamentalist turned Catholic "conversion." The access to this site led me to my journey of rediscovering my rich Catholic Tradition.
Since then, I've been reading books about Catholicism, mostly those written by Protestant converts to Catholicism. I don't know why, but I just have this bias against reading the writings of "cradle" Catholics. I guess I need to hear it from Fundamentalists, whose arguments almost led me to converting out of the Catholic Tradition.
Anyway, though I've read several books, if asked to discuss why Catholics ask the intercession of saints, I would be speechless. I think I understand it, but not enough to actually discuss it with a person who has a different view. But he explains Catholic positions concisely, coherently, and articulately. Not that Protestants or Fundamentalists agree with what he's saying, for their beliefs still diverge, but he argues in a way that Catholics would just admire his knowledge and patience and would end up wanting to be just like him - having a personal relationship with Jesus, and at the same time being able to explain away the views of the Church Christ founded. SIGH!
8 comments:
But you just told me 3 days ago...
;-)
FWIW, I think that having your faith challenged is a good thing. Whenever I encounter someone whose religious beliefs (or lack thereof, I have met many atheists, several of whom I consider to be good friends) happen to diverge from mine I try to keep an open mind whenever the subject of religion comes up. I welcome the challenge as an invitation to me to examine my own beliefs and I do believe that ultimately this is a good thing and will either strengthen your faith or reveal to you that what you were believing in was not worth believing in, anyway. There is a phrase that goes, "the unexamined life is not worth living." One could extend this to say that an unexamined faith is not worth believing in.
Of course, I say all this as a "cradle" Catholic (baptized as a baby and was raised Catholic) and an Ateneo graduate who somehow survived 15 units of theology and 16 units of philosophy so maybe my opinion does not count for much. :)
uy, kamukha ni Rafe ng Survivor yung crush mo ah. hehehe! =P
ako, i find it hard to quit a conversation when it comes to faith. ayoko kasing feeling ko natatalo ako sa argument when it comes to religion. pero somehow, i learned na minsan mas ok na conceed ka na lang. as long as i don't get converted, and as long as i know what i believe in, ok lang kahit di ko maconvert yung kausap ko. is that bad? =)
K. Junby, yeah it was good. And I'm thankful for that particular person who made me question if asking for Mary's intercession was a sin 'coz if it weren't for him, I wouldn't have gone through this search for the truth. I appreciate the Catholic faith more now that ever before. :-)
Harbs, ganun din ako dati. Hehe. Sugod mga kapatid type na gusto lagi mananalo. Hehe. Dahil dun, na-challenge ako masyado at dun na nag-crumble faith ko. Dun ko narealize na kahit nag-aral ako for 12 years sa Catholic school, what I know is not enough.
Sabi nung "apologist" friend ko, "if you're not armed, don't go to battle." Hehe. Pero sabi nya din, it's better to arm yourself so you can explain your side din, kasi karamihan sa mga anti-Catholic, di naiintindihan 'yung true teachings of the Catholic Church. It's good daw to not keep them in the dark about Catholic teachings. Pero (and dito ako tinamaan masyado), explain it with much patience and love. Ako kasi, "e basta! eto faith ko and tama ako!" Hehe. Yun daw ang mali.
Challenges to your faith are important. It is the refiners fire that we all must go through, if our faith is to endure and prove true.
"so that the genuineness of your faith, more precious that gold that is perishable even though tested by fire, may prove to be for praise, glory, and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ." -- 1 Peter 1:7 (NAB)
"I will bring the one third through fire, and I will refine them as silver is refined, and I will test them as gold is tested. They shall call upon my name, and I will hear them. I will say, 'They are my people,' and they shall say, 'The Lord is my God.'" -- Zechariah 13:9 (NAB)
What I find saddening, especially with "cradle" Catholics, is that many of them, since they were baptized as a baby and were raised as Catholic, never sought to learn what the faith is about. Consequently, a lot of them later leave the Catholic faith simply because they never really sought to learn and understand what Catholicism is about.
We all are called to lead a life exemplary of the Catholic faith. As it says:
"Just so, your light must shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your heavenly Father." -- Matthew 5:16 (NAB)
That call carries with it the responsibility of learning what our faith is about. And, as your apologist friend mentioned, you must always explain your faith in the spirit of love. As the letter to the Corinthians states:
"If I speak in human and angelic tongues, but do not have love, I am a resounding gong or a clashing cymbal. And if I have the gift of prophecy, and comprehend all mysteries and all knowledge; if I have all faith so as to move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing." -- 1 Corinthians 13:2-3 (NAB)
Okay, time for me to get back to work. ;-)
very well said, K. Junby. :-) U sure ur a programmer? :-P
But I agree with you. I am one of those cradle Catholics who almost left the Church because I didn't know exactly the teachings of the Church. But I'm glad that's over now. :-)
Remember, when I graduated from AdMU back in 1998 all the CYA brothers and sisters were expecting me to go on staff. I probably would have, too, except God had other plans for me.
I am a Catholic who just happened to choose the field of software development as my day job. As it is, I keep a bible on my desk here at the office. :-)
gusto ko sana magreply pero feeling ko mapapahaba yung sagot ko kakaisip =) .. and knowing how late it is right now, babalikan ko na lang to ... just want to post something so I'd remember I want to post something here =)
shucks! takot ako sa sasabihin ni O neal! :-P
Post a Comment