Thursday, December 15, 2005

I'M SO EXCITED AND I JUST CAN'T HIDE IT

AAAAHHHHHH!!! I'm being schizophrenic again!

God is so good!!! (I know this should appear in my religious blog, but being that the background story is my previous post and I can't very well put my previous post in my religious blog or else my crush would know I have a crush on him, I decided to put a sort of reflection post on this non-reflective blog of mine).

I just looked at that last paragraph and it looks weird. Anywho, so on with my story.

I'm not that busy at work today. The post doc I work for is not here this whole week, so I'm left with minimal work. That's why I had the time to read parts of the book I'm currently reading (Crossing the Tiber), and read the discussions on the Eucharist by Protestants/Fundamentalists and Catholics on Catholic_Defender's blog. That's how I ended up fancying that guy (that Harbie says looks like Rafe from Survivor) who can so articulately explain Catholic doctrines and beliefs.

So, today, I kept checking my email since I forgot to bring my book to work and I am a tad bored. And I saw an email from the Archdiocese of San Francisco stating that we have a new Archbishop. See, Archbishop Levada (our former Archbishop) left for Rome to replace Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger as head of the Catholic Church's Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith when the Cardinal became Pope. And at the end of the email was a list of upcoming Young Adult events within the Archdiocese.

I clicked on the link and was directed to a "Calendar of Events" site. I wanted to see what types of retreats they have, or if they have interesting talks I would want to attend. I kept on seeing this "CSI: Liturgy and Sacraments" on their Calendar. And I loved the show, CSI, so I clicked on it. It turns out that CSI stands for Catholic Studies Institute, a program of adult faith formation and lay ministry training of the Archdiocese of San Francisco. You basically can take classes to learn more about the Catholic Faith. It's a certification type of program (Archdiocesan Certificate in Theological Studies and an Archdiocesan Certificate in Theology and Lay Ministry). I don't think I would want to be certified but I definitely would want to take some classes.

When I first started my "journey" to rediscovering my Catholic faith, I was reading Scott and Kimberly Hahn's Rome Sweet Home. Scott and Kimberly both have degrees in Theology and would spend hours reading and studying the Bible and other books. I was impressed and sort of jealous. I wanted to be like them. I wanted to spend hours reading and studying the Bible and other Theology books. I was so hyper and excited about it, I thought of enrolling in a "Master's" program in Theology. I went to the Berkeley Institute website to see how intensive their courses are, thinking I could study that part time (after work). But no, I couldn't. It's pretty intense. One needs to be a full-time student in order to fulfill all their requirements. So, I gave up on that one.

But now, God is giving me exactly what I wanted. A chance to take a course on Catholic Studies (after work hours) to learn more about my faith. I'm starting January 18. It's only a once-a-week, two hour class. And who knows, maybe in the end, I'll decide to finish and get the Certificate in Theological Studies. It's not as glamorous as a Master's Degree, but it's still a Certificate on Theology. :-)


*** I don't think this post made sense. I am really excited, but somehow my thoughts became jumbled (schizo) as I typed this up. Pray for me, please. Thanks!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet! God is good, indeed. :)

beng said...

ayos! =) one step at a time binut! goodluck!!! =)

Binut/Keyt said...

Thanks! :-) I have two brothers in the community (one of them caught me at the right time) who were so happy for me that I am doing this. Both of them wanted to take Theology classes as well. It's good. God is good. He's surrounded me with people who have similar interests I do have. :-)