Wednesday, May 24, 2006

A SHOT AT A POEM

I'm not a poet at all. I never did like poems. And I never did understand them. I remember Mrs. Collantes explaining sonnets to us and I remember not understanding why they have to be written as such when they're just expressing a simple thought or emotion. I guess as a scientist, I never had the appreciation for symbolism and all that artsy (for the lack of better word) stuff. Hehe.

But, I took a shot at writing a poem, two years ago. My first ever written poem, aptly entitled, A Shot at a Poem. It's not artsy. It's not symbolic. It's straight to the point. Haha. Once a scientist always a scientist never an artist.

I actually forgot all about it. Because of all the commotion it caused when I posted it at the Friendster Bulletin Board, I pushed it way out of my mind. But some reminiscing caused me to remember it, word for word. So, here it is - A Shot at a Poem

A Shot at a Poem

When I’m with you I’m soaring through the heavens
When I’m with you I forget all my concerns
When I’m with you all I could do is smile and laugh
When I’m with you I hope and pray that time would stop

You are my close friend but unfortunately
You have no idea how I truly feel
You think you know who it is that I like
But you have no idea it's you I like

I wish I can tell you honestly how I feel
I wish I can show you my love for you is real
But alas I do not have the strength within me to tell you so
I just have to hold on to these feelings and hope one day you'd know

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I have to ask...

To whom was this poem dedicated to? :)

I understand what you mean about finding it difficult to write poetry, though. I can come up with musical ideas just fine but I cannot write lyrics if my life depended on it.

beng said...

ay, ako naman, sucker for poems. pero di yung sobrang lalim ha. i think poets sometimes tend to use complicated words to sound smart. hehehe! i want it plain and simple, but with a solid message, and passion.

hmmm, teka, this poem sounds familiar ah. nabasa ko na ba to? hmmm ulet. ;-)

Binut/Keyt said...

Kuya Junby, like I'll tell you who it was for. :-P Maybe someday, I will. In 50 years? :-P

Buti ka pa Harbs, marunong mag appreciate ng poem. Haha. Ako talaga, hindi!

Harbs ... Hmm ... talaga? familiar siya??? ... hmm ... ;-)

Anonymous said...

You'll see... 50 years from now I'll still be badgering you about who this poem was dedicated to... :P

Anonymous said...

honga sino naman kaya ang insipirasyon ng poem na ito?