Thursday, January 05, 2006

I HAVE A "DATE"

I find it funny how lax Americans are when they use the word "date." I was talking with my friend on the phone earlier about important personal stuff. He and I are going through similar things and I wanted his perspectives on some "issues" I have, but being that I was at work, we really couldn't talk. So we agreed to meet. He asked me when's the best time for me, and I gave him some options. We agreed on the day and he said, "It's a date, then!" And I said, "yeah!" And we both knew what it meant.

Ok, just to clarify, it's not a date date. If you get what I mean. It's just two friends who agreed to meet each other for dinner to talk about relevant, pertinent, personal "issues." :-) I am so looking forward to that "date."

6 comments:

beng said...

hehehe, i know what you mean. i was surprised to hear them use that nga eh. am i THAT malicious?! hahahha!

Anonymous said...

The word "date" essentially refers to some sort of social engagement. It often, but not necessarily, has a romantic connotation. As with many things, the proper interpretation really depends upon the context and the people involved. For example, in the situation you presented, there is no romantic connotation (unless my interpretation is incorrect, in which case, I will refer you to our conversation a while back). However, if I say I am going out on a date with my girlfriend this Saturday, there is a romantic connotation implicit in my statement.

Harbie, I would not consider your take on it as being particularly malicious so much as it is a product of our own culture. In the Philippines, we would normally not use the word "date" except in situations which have a romantic connotation. I actually prefer it that way since there is less room for misinterpretation.

Anyway, hope you enjoy your "date". ;-)

beng said...

thanks for saving my face kuya junby. =D another word, "girlfriend" vs "girl friend". my (then) boss said a "girl friend" is a lady friend he doesn't sleep with. hehehe! =P

Binut/Keyt said...

Beng, we're guilty of the same thing. ;-) Di lang nga siguro tayo sanay to think of a "date" without any romantic connotations. :-)

Kuya Junby, yahoo! dalawa na kami ni beng tumatawag sa iyong KUYA!!! Tanda ka na. :-P Tnx nga pala for calling on Xmas. Sorry di ko nasagot and di ako naka-return call. Busy sa magulong family namin. :-)

I have to say na I was expecting this sentence when I was reading your comment, "unless my interpretation is incorrect, in which case, I will refer you to our conversation a while back." Hehe. Your interpretation is correct ... so no need for you to remind me what we talked about before. :-P It was just "new" to me. I guess this is my first date that has no romantic connotation. :-)

Beng, tama yan girl friend vs girlfriend and boy friend vs boyfriend. Although I can't use the same meaning your boss used for my definition of a boy friend. ;-)

beng said...

hahaha! my boss was a self-confessed malicious guy, so no need to worry. =P

Anonymous said...

Funny thing I have noticed over the years: women commonly use the term "girl friend" to refer to their female friends but I have yet to meet a man who uses that term.

And I have yet to personally meet anyone, male or female, that uses the term "boy friend" to refer to a male friend.

I personally just use the term "friend".

harbie, I assume you are about the same age as Kate? I am only 27 (though I will be turning 28 in a few weeks) so unless you are noticeably younger than I am, I would really prefer you simply address me as junby. ;-)