Wednesday, April 26, 2006

A YEAR OF GOODBYES

I've been in this lab for too long. I've seen, two years ago, 6 people leave from our lab - Angela, Mhairi, Christine, Victoria, Allan, and Tina. This year 4 people are leaving fom our lab - Sherri, the post-doc I've been working with for the past (almost) 4 years; Jean, the Chinese post-doc who makes me laugh, Michael, a graduate student; and Sachiko, our MD PhD from Japan.

I found out at lunch today that 6 other people from neighboring labs on our floor are leaving as well. 3 of them are going back to their home countries - Craig from the Ganem lab is going back to Canada. Anne Laure, also from the Ganem lab is going back to France. Alex from the Bishop lab is going back to Australia. The other 3 are relocating. Brit's going to Berkeley. Alana's going to either Denver or Salt Lake City. And Sue's going to Arizona.

These are the people who surrounded me all throughout my (almost) 4 years in this lab. I'm sure by the end of this year, I would have shed a lot of tears. Things won't be the same in the lab anymore. :'-(

Aside from saying goodbye to all these wonderful people, this year, I'm saying goodbye to my dreams of becoming an MD. After 4 years of pondering and reflecting, I've realized that being an MD is not for me. I've always wanted to be Dr. Venus Catherine Manalo, MD. Maybe I'll still be a Dr. Venus Catherine Manalo, but the "suffix" will be different. ;-) HMM ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hellos and goodbyes are all part of life, I guess. As they say, nothing in this life is permanent.

I've been doing my job for almost 8 years now (a long time, especially in the Silicon Valley tech industry) and I have seen lots of people come and go. While the sadness of parting with people whom you have worked with for several years can get pretty bad, it is more than offset by the joys and fun times that one has shared with them.

Besides, with the way technology can connect people nowadays, it is relatively easy to stay in touch with each other. :)

So, will I at some point in my life be introducing you at the breakfast as Dr. Venus Catherine Manalo, PhD? ;)

beng said...

awww, i know how you feel. there was an exodus at the office too. pero isa ako sa mga umalis. =P marami nang nawala before i resigned, so medyo na-feel ko rin na hindi na ganon kasaya. i think out of 30+ sa team namin, around 6-7 na lang yung orig. yung mga oldies na ang OP. hehehe!