Wednesday, January 04, 2006

TRAGEDY AT A MINE IN WEST VIRGINIA

I stopped watching the news when Bush was re-elected president of the US.

That's probably a result of my political bias. But it could also be that I found the news uninteresting. But yesterday, the story of the miners trapped at a West Virginia mine gripped me. When I learned of the story, the 13 miners had been trapped for 28 hours. And officials were saying that carbon monoxide levels were too high. Although there was a slim chance that the miners would be found alive, most everybody was clinging on to the hope that they would be rescued. I was one of them. I lifted them up and their families in a short prayer and waited.

At 9 pm last night, my dad tuned in a bit to the news about the miners. The news said that the Church (where the families of the miners gathered) bells tolled. It brought the great news that 12 miners were alive! It was very unfortunate that one, who was found separate from the group, died, but there were survivors. And everyone was happy. Until three hours later.

It wasn't until this morning that I found out that there was a miscommunication last night. What has been said - 1 dead, 12 alive - was the complete opposite of what really happened. Apparently only one survived. And that information wasn't conveyed to the families who had been rejoicing until 3 hours later. I could imagine the grief, the agony, the anguish, and the anger they must have felt after finding out that their loved ones didn't survive the ordeal, when in fact they had been told the opposite 3 hours earlier.

I feel for the families. I pray for them and their loved ones who perished in this tragedy.

1 comment:

beng said...

and i thought sa pinas lang nagkakamali ang media. ang sad nga... =( sana di na lang nila nalaman yung maling balita.