Saturday, November 12, 2005

BCBP ACTION GROUP MEETING

Friday, yesterday, was a holiday for me. It's veteran's day. So my weekend started on Thursday night. I had to pick up my mom from work, so I left work early. I usu leave work at 7 pm, but on thursday, I left at 4. :-) I had a BCBP action group meeting at 8, so I got to sleep before the AG. It was so difficult for me to wake up, it took 3 snoozes from my alarm and a phone call from Ate Roda (an AG co-member) before I finally got up.

It was the first action group meeting I attended. I originally thought there'd only be 5 of us there, so I had no problem saying yes to playing the guitar for the meeting. But apparently, everybody wanted to attend our action group. Na-shock ako bigla. The big-time leaders of the community were there - Kuya Jun, Ate Myrna, and Tatang. Then, Kuya Ben and Ate Emmy decided to join us 'coz they had nothing better to do daw. It was my first action group meeting, and I was "pushed" into immediately serving by playing the guitar. I was nervous, at first, because of the presence of the leaders. But being that they're so nice, and non-critical, I eased up as I played. As usual, I made several mistakes, but their focus on their personal prayers was so strong, they didn't even notice it. I don't even know if they heard me say, "sorry."

Then, since apparently the action groups are not completely set up yet, we just shared our ups and downs for the week. And it's just interesting to hear what our elders consider their ups and downs to be. They're so different from what we, youngsters in our 20s, perceive ups and downs to be.

Then we had snacks. Since I didn't see the word "pot luck" on the email, I didn't bring anything. Ang bait ko no? But everbody else brought something. We had shrimp gambas (it was so yummy!), prepared by Elaine, Pandan cake from Red Ribbon, Brownie bites and Ube Halaya (courtesy of K. Ben and A. Emmy). I felt bloated afterwards. The food was great.

Oh, before I forget, Kuya Jun and Ate Myrna came in a bit late. They got lost. Then apparently a police stopped them because Kuya Jun didn't have his headlights on. They told the policeman that they were lost and that they were going to a prayer meeting. The policeman didn't give them a ticket, and instead, directed them to the place where we were meeting. It's amazing how "prayer meetings" still have an effect, even to the mostly secular police force here in the US.

I wonder what'll happen at our AG next month. Hmm.

No comments: