Saturday, November 12, 2005

MISSIONARIES OF CHARITY

Friday was a bit busy for me. I had to wake up early to bring my mom to the hospital for her fasting blood-test. We had to get there early 'coz she's already hungry having had to fast for 12 hours. Then my mom and I went to hear mass. Then I brought my mom to the salon where she had her hair done. I picked her up (I'm my mom's chauffer) and brought her home, then went to my friends' apartment to go to the Missionaries of Charity - Mother Teresa's own congregation.

I got there a bit late. We were supposed to be at the center by 2 pm, so we can join the sisters in their Holy Hour. I got to my friends' apartment at 1:50, I think. But thankfully, we got there in time. They haven't started their Holy Hour yet.

We got to worship God, with the sisters. The Blessed Sacrament was exposed the whole time they were praying. It was my first time to prostrate myself before the Blessed Sacrament. I guess I never learned the proper way of honoring God when the Blessed Sacrament is exposed. I never ever prostrated myself even when I go to the Adoration Chapel to pray before the Blessed Sacrament. The first time I did it, I was pretty clumsy. I did it so fast (I was trying to catch up to the Sisters who caught me off-guard), I hit my head hard on the floor. Hehe.

Then, we prayed the Holy Rosary. The sisters pray slowly, they were really relishing the meaning of every word spoken. During the 3rd mystery, I felt my lung constrict. I had difficulty breathing. And thoughts of a heart-attack (I know I'm over reacting) or passing out clouded my mind. Thoughts filled my mind. I didn't want to cause any commotion during their hour of prayer. I didn't want to pass out there. I didn't want to be taken to the hospital from the chapel of the Missionaries of Charity. I also thought of the kind of nervous attack my mom would have if she found out I passed out while praying with the Sisters. I was really nervous. I clutched my chest (which apparently, Elaine saw). And then sat down. I couldn't remain kneeling at that point.

It took a while before my lungs cleared up. By that time, we were doing the 4th Sorrowful Mystery, Carrying of the Cross. And I realized, I was given a bit of a cross right there, and I couldn't even continue carrying it. I had to sit down, and make myself comfy because I was so afraid of dying or passing out. Images of the Passion of the Christ flashed through my head. Jesus was almost dying, almost ready to pass out, almost ready to give up, but He never did stop. He just continued to carry His cross. He was ready to die for me. I wasn't ready to die for Him. I was humbled. So, I went back to kneeling during the 5th mystery, even though my lungs constricted again. I don't know how to explain that physiologically - lungs constricting when I'm kneeling. Anyway, I was able to finish the Holy Hour without passing out, thank God!

We prayed to the Sacred Heart as well. I couldn't remember all that we prayed, but it was a very beautiful prayer. It goes something like, "the more they despise You, the more we'll love You." I can't express how beautiful the prayer is. One has to pray the prayer itself in order to fully appreciate it.

After the Holy Hour, we went to the Soup Kitchen, where the Sisters feed the homeless. It was busy! They only had about 50 people to serve, within a span of 1 1/2 hours and the kitchen was so busy. As soon as we got there, we filled the pitchers and huge pans with water, then we put the pitchers to each table, then gave each of the people their own glass (it's not a self-serve soup kitchen ... we were serving each and everyone of them, all the "patrons" had to do was sit and wait for us to serve them). Then, we started putting food on the plates. I was in charge of putting pasta. Since I only eat small portions, I only put small portions on the plates. I was reprimanded for there was so much food (I thought there was only one tray), and I needed to allot them properly. Hehe. After that, we brought the food out. There wasn't much time for interaction with the people we're serving, as there was so much to do.

After bringing out the food, we started cleaning up. I was assigned to dry the plates, cups, and utensils used. But, after a couple of minutes, I was given the task of helping out wash the dishes. Three people were washing the dishes. One was soaping the dishes. The sister I was standing next to started rinsing them out. And I was tasked to finish rinsing the dishes completely ridding them of water.

My friend, Elaine, who found out about the Missionaries of Charity and who brought us there told me that washing the dishes with Sister Susanna was the only time you could chat with her. So, I tried chatting her up. She worked with Mother Teresa since 1968. She's been to many parts of India, Middle East, Rome, America, etc. At one point she told me that she stayed in Jordan for 10 years, from 1970 to 1980. And I asked her if it was difficult to stay in a predominantly Muslim country. She said it was. She said, "I asked the Muslims if they would kill us if there was Holy War. And they said YES." She said it nonchalantly. No expression of fear, whatsoever. So I asked, "Weren't you afraid, sister?" She said, "Oh yes! We were very much afraid for our lives." But still, you get the sense that those sisters were no longer living in this world. I mean, they're here with us, but their minds and souls are in another level. They're no longer concerned with the material aspects of living. Their only focus is to quench the Christ's Thirst for us to thirst for Him. It's pretty amazing.

I'm grateful for this day that I was able to spend a couple of hours with them. It was definitely a humbling experience.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i've actually experienced having difficulty breathing while kneeling. i was doing the novena to st. jude, and i just couldn't finish it without sitting for a few minutes and then kneeling again. i felt like i was going to faint, had i not took a "sitting break." sometimes that doesn't happen, but i noticed it does when there are just too many people around me. and perhaps the air is scarce or something. :-O it'd be nice if you could find a physiological explanation. i've always been "mahiluhin" when there's a crowd and not enough ventilation. so in my case, that might be it. because if it were wide open spaces, even amongst a crowd, i don't have any problems. :)

Unknown said...

Hi Venus... or should I call you Kate? Have we met before? It seems like we have common friends, like Nette, Darleth, and Honey... Anyway thanks for linking my blog. God bless!